Monday, June 30, 2008

Music is my life...

Inspirations 1 & 2, Lydia and Sam



I can always tell what kind of a day I'll have by the first song I hear on the radio-online or otherwise. Thanks to pandora.com and the 80s station I listen to, todays song was "Break my Stride", by Matthew Wilder. A moderate hit in 1983-84, it's an upbeat tune about never giving up. Somehow, on this rainy, muggy Monday in NC I
just can't get behind that idea. Today is one of those days where everyone would've been better off if I stayed home. Alone. Under the covers. Sigh. Let's search for some inspiration, kids. Here's what I could find....

I find inspiration in the following things: my niece, Lydia, and my nephew, Sam; they give me hope for the future. A good book you cannot put down; I've been lucky enough to have hit a string of those lately. A really good song; these days it's "Say" by John Mayer. My mothers cooking; last night she made shrimp riggies- some of you might now know what they are, but trust me, it's like a little bit of heaven in your mouth. Vacations from my mind-numbing job; I have one coming up in 32 days. The beach...ahh the smell, the calming peace I get from sitting on the sand and daydreaming as I look out at the waves. The barn where my friend Susan keeps her horses; this is a new joy. I can't believe that I've lived 31 years without this life-altering experience. Words can't describe it, all I can say is if there is a God, being at that barn is the closest I've come to HIM/HER.

Sometimes it's important to revisit these inspirations on a day like today. What can I say? "Life is chaos; every gorilla for himself".

1 comment:

Cloudylissa said...

It's funny...I ran into your blog because you listed Marry Me Jane as a favorite band. I didn't realize anyone knew who that band was anymore. :) But then you also listed John Cusack and anyone who understands Occam's Razor...the similarity/coincidences just made me laugh, that's all. You sound like me, random Internet stranger.